Docker Compose is a tool for defining and running multi-container Docker applications. With Compose, you use a YAML file to configure your application’s services.
The steps to use docker-compose are:
- Create a Dockerfile which defines the image and can be producible everywhere.
- Create a docker-compose yml file to run the services.
- Use docker-compose up to start the sevices specified in docker-compose.yml file.
Basic commands in docker-compose
- Command to run docker-containers
docker-compose -f docker-compose.yml up
- Command to run containers in detached mode
docker-compose -f docker-compose.yml up -d
- Command to run containers after building the images again (Note: docker containers automatically builds at the first time)
docker-compose -f docker-compose.yml --build -d
- Command to stop containers when running in detached mode
docker-compose -f docker-compose.yml down
- Command to remove service containers
docker-compose -f docker-compose.yml rm
- Command to pull Images for all service containers from repository (by default from Docker Hub)
docker-compose -f docker-compose.yml pull
- Command to view logs of all service contaienrs (add -f to follow logs)
docker-compose -f docker-compose.yml logs